Thursday, April 21, 2011

Cafe Express

click the title to link to cafe express's website!

Who remembers the Zach Attack? It was pretty much my staple meal as a kid- shell pasta with marinara sauce and a side of fruit. Simple, simple, simple. No frills, just carbs (which pretty much describes how I ate ALL the time before I started to branch out).

If you remember the Zach Attack, then I applaud you. You, dear reader, are obviously as loyal to Cafe Yum Express as I am.

However, if you do remember the Zach Attack, you also remember Cafe Express in its early years. Whoever owned the chain sold the restaurant, and the new guys promptly screwed it up. The menu was boring, the service was sub-par, and the overall experience of eating there pretty much sucked.

So then the first owner got his head on straight and bought it back from those evil, evil people who ran it into the ground, and now its a better, more exciting version of its first self. Makeover!!

Cafe Express has something for everyone. Sandwiches, soups, salads, fancy-pants entrees, sides, and a SUPER simple kids meal (which is totally perfect). Its a true American menu, but with sophistication, prominent Mediterranean influence, and a side of awesome.

That being said, Cafe Express isn't perfect. The portions are on the large side, and sometimes the meals come out too quickly to be made 100% to order.

However, that doesn't keep me from eating there pretty much once a week. You can't keep me from those sweet potato fries (swoon) for too long until I start to get grumpy. Its so close to my house that its become my go-to, and I haven't been disappointed in the quality since I've become a regular.

My favorites are the Chicken Rustica sandwich with a side of sweet potato fries (lunch) and the Pasta Amore (dinner).

The sandwich is, no lie, one of the best ever to grace my taste buds. The acidity of the tapenade, pesto, and vinaigrette work perfectly with the carbs of the grilled chicken and ciabatta bread. And the red onions and spring mix salad top it off with a really fresh taste. Deeeeeeelish!

Pasta Amore is just that- LOVE. Olive oil+tapenade+artichoke heart= ZOMGYUM (OMG, YUM! I feel the need to explain some of my terms every so often)!!!

So the next time you're looking for a quick meal that's more on the healthy side, find your nearest Cafe Express (there's a good number of them all across Houston)... Maybe I'll see you there!!

HAPPY EATING!

PS- I'd love to hear about what you order, because my usuals are great, but I'm always looking for something new!

PPS- Tell me what I can do better! Leave a comment with suggestions on content, PLEASE... I'd appreciate any and all constructive criticism!

2 comments:

  1. Hey Martha!!!
    I was on my facebook page and saw your post and decided to come look at your blog. This is AWESOME!!! You're doing a great job!!!
    Oh and I totally used to get the zach attack every single time I went to Cafe Express. Can't wait to read more!!

    P.S. This is Annie Duncan. I can't figure out how to make my name not anonymous. Clearly technology hates me right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ANNIE I LOVE YOU! I know you're at camp right now... but whatever. When you get back we gon hang

    ReplyDelete